Pages

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Holidays in the Classroom

Hello all!  I have joined together with Ashley from Schroeder Shenanigans in 2nd and Angie from Lucky Little Learners for their  #2GETHERWEAREBETTER linky.

 

So what are we talking about this month?  My favorite time of year... CHRISTMAS!  So, let's talk about the holidays.

Service to Others

At my school, we believe it is important to balance traditions and craftivities with philanthropy.  Each grade level has a service project.  Second grade's service project is the Pajama Program.


This is a wonderful philanthropy that gives children in need a new pair of pajamas and a book.  For each pair of pajamas donated, Scholastic matches it with a book.  Finding ways to get children to think globally is difficult, and this is one small way the second grade teachers can instill a desire in their students to give back.

To celebrate our philanthropy, teachers treat students to a pajama day, some yummy hot chocolate, and The Polar Express movie.  I bring in my crock pot that I have filled with water and hot cocoa mix.  I fill up the cups, and students can add marshmallows, chocolate sprinkles/dust, and candy canes.  We all curl up with our pillows and blankets and enjoy the movie.


Taking a Poll

I always poll students to find out what holidays they do celebrate.  This is my first year teaching second grade where all students celebrate Christmas.  I am excited!  We are going to have some fun times in the next couple of weeks!  I plan to keep the kids moving and thinking.

Hands-On Activities

Science is a great way to keep kids thinking and engaged in learning.  During this last TPT sale, I found a great resource!


I am super excited to try this out with my kids!   The Great Candy Cane Experiment by Fancy Free in 4th challenges students to make predictions about which liquid a candy cane dissolve in the fastest.  Students work through each step of the Scientific Method and then draw conclusions.  I can't wait to see how this turns out in class!

I'm also planning on continuing the engagement with some STEM.  Brooke Brown from Teaching Outside the Box has great resources for STEM activities through the year.  I'm super excited about her December Activities.


The three activities included are Santa's parachute, a shelf for the elf, and the tallest tree.  I KNOW my kids are going to flip over these!

Write All About It

Last, we are going to do some writing!   I read Amy Lemon's post on her blog, Step Into Second Grade about an Elf Directed Drawing.  I am thinking this would make a great piece, especially because the elves have come to keep an eye on the kids.  And to make cute on top of seriously cute, students can apply to become an elf!



Of course, we are going to make some magic reindeer food.  That's always a good time!  Thanks to happyhomefairy.com for the cute tag!


I'd love to hear about your holiday traditions and activities.  Comment below and share!  Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!




1 comment:

  1. I just dropped the Candy Cane Experiment in my TpT cart! The activities are sure to keep my little second grade elves engaged during our last week before holiday break! Thanks for sharing!
    ~Jennifer
    Stories and Songs in Second Grade

    ReplyDelete